A Legacy for Sister Philomene Tiernan rscj

The Kincoppal – Rose Bay School of the Sacred Heart community has established a Boarding Bursary in honour of the memory of Sister Philomene Tiernan rscj who died tragically as a result of the Malaysian Airline crash on 17 July 2014. This decision has come about as a result of the wishes of many past and current students and parents who would like to honour Sister Tiernan and create a lasting memory for her in an area to which she was so dedicated.

Sister Tiernan had been involved with Sacred Heart boarding schools since her time as a student boarder at Stuartholme School, Brisbane, where she became Head of the School in her final year. She was in charge of the Boarding School at Kincoppal – Rose Bay from 1971 to 1972 and from 1976 to 1979. Her students remember her care, her compassion and her wise guidance. She was also a Director of the Kincoppal – Rose Bay School Board from 2002 to 2012.

From 2012 to 2014 Sister Tiernan was involved in the pastoral care and spiritual formation of the boarders at Kincoppal – Rose Bay. She cared passionately about their welfare, particularly supporting students in times of difficulty or loss.  

Sr Phil ‘raised me up’ to help me become the Sacred Heart educator that I am today. She was a great role model – as a Sacred Heart woman, educator of great faith and intellect, with a strong commitment to social justice and to personal growth. She has left a wonderful legacy for us all to treasure for the rest of our lives.

Hilary Johnston-Croke, Principal  

The Philomene Tiernan rscj Boarding Bursary

The Philomene Tiernan Boarding Bursary has been established to provide financial support to students from country NSW, whose families wish their daughters to have a Sacred Heart education but who are in financial need.

Sister Tiernan was a woman of enormous influence and impact, who gave a life of Cor Unum – of commitment, care and service to the development of young people. Her sudden death left a void in the Kincoppal – Rose Bay community and beyond. 

By supporting the Philomene Tiernan Boarding Bursary, you will ensure Sister Tiernan will continue to play an important role in the lives of future boarders at KRB.

Your generous support will enable a number of students to be awarded the Sister Philomene Tiernan Boarding Bursary over years to come. 

All donations for this bursary are fully tax deductible. 

An unbelievably selfless and remarkably spirited woman, who had a twinkle in her eye, a firm clasp on your hand, a passion for her beliefs and somehow, a space in her big heart for all of us.

Philippa Harrison, Class of 2013, Distinction in Studies & Dux 

To make a donation

Click here to make a donation online to the Bursary Fund in the "Giving to KRB" section or contact Mary Cook, Director of Development on 61 2 9388 6024 or email  cookm@krb.nsw.edu.au.

Thank you for your request. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
There was a problem sending your message.
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Would you like to ask us a quick question? If so please fill in your details below and we will respond to your enquiry shortly.

Send Enquiry
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Send Enquiry