The Arts

ART

K – Year 6
Art classes will extend students’ creative abilities through visual media providing a variety of art experiences that perhaps would not be available to students until their senior years. Art promotes positive feelings in students and encourages them to experiment and to push boundaries, whilst having a stress-free and fun experience with their friends.

PERFORMING ARTS

JUNIOR SCHOOL ACCOMPLISHMENT SPEECH AND DRAMA

Group Drama (K – Year 6)

Group Drama for Junior school students aim to provide a fun and supportive environment to build creativity and confidence. The focus of group drama classes will change every term. Lessons contain activities such as drama games, teamwork, improvisation and play-building. In the later part of the year all Drama students work together to perform in the Drama Soiree.

Speech / Communication Skills (Years 1 – 6)

Trinity College London Syllabus (Public Speaking) concentrates on the skills of speaking in front of others, helping students to organise and express themselves in a meaningful and appropriate way through storytelling, impromptu and prepared talks and initiating conversation.

All students participate in the Trinity College London Exams in the latter half of the year. Fees for the exam are separate to lesson fees.

Please note: Our enrolments for both classes are charged annually so there is no need to re-enrol later in the year. Enrolments will only open in Semester 2 for new students if there are places available.

To enquire about Junior Drama please email Sandra Price at prices@krb.nsw.edu.au

Accomplishment Drama (Years 7-11)

Kincoppal-Rose Bay’s Accomplishment Drama program has two different programs available for students.

Trinity Guildhall London lessons and examinations

The Trinity Guildhall syllabus is an internationally accepted assessment of abilities in speech, effective communication and dramatic performances for solo and pairs. The Trinity Guildhall Program provides a structured set of learning outcomes designed to help your daughter develop into a confidence communicator with a full forward and free voice which engages people when they speak. The Trinity Guildhall methodology also allows your daughter to participate in a non-compulsory examination held in the fourth term of every year. All lessons are curated and modified to suit individuals of all abilities and experience. Students participating in Trinity Guildhall lessons are encouraged to do additional rehearsals outside of their scheduled lesson time.

Lessons are 30 minute lessons. Please note the cost of the Trinity Guildhall exams and any entry into eisteddfods are an additional cost to the students and is not included in the tuition fees. All fees must be paid through the portal; they are not charged to your school account.

There are four options under the Trinity Guildhall syllabus for your daughter to choose from:

1. Speech and Drama (Years 7-11)

Lessons are conducted privately or in pairs. Students under the Speech and Drama strand of Trinity work on classic and modern scripts, prose and poetry. Studying Speech and Drama will help students to develop:

• Confidence and self-esteem
  • Knowledge and understanding of literature styles
  • Natural and clear public speaking ability
  • Focus and concentration
  • Communication and performance skills
  • Respect towards others
  • Listening and responding
  • Improvisation skills 

2. Acting (Years 7-11)

Lessons are conducted privately or in pairs. Many voice, acting and performance techniques are studied in this strange. Students’ will engage in scene work both scripted and improvised, voice work, staging and improvisation. Studying Acting will help students to develop:

• Confidence and self-esteem
  • Rehearsal techniques
  • Focus and concentration
  • Listening and responding
  • Characterisation
  • Accents
  • Stage craft
  • Learning to take direction

3. Speech and Communication (Years 7-12)

Lessons are conducted privately or in pairs. This program is specifically design for students to develop the necessary skills for making in-class oral presentations for school. This strand helps students develop:

• Confidence in speaking in front of an audience
  • Use of palm cards
  • Selecting a topic and writing a speech
  • Claiming the stage
  • Dealing with nerves
  • Finding a clear and natural speaking voice
  • Utilising emphatic and physical devises to engage an audience

4. ATCL Performing Speech and Drama (Years 11 and 12 only)

Preparation for this exam is 1.5 years

Due to pre-requisites for this exam students must be invited to take part in these lessons, as they will be preparing for a diploma level accreditation. This qualification encourages students to prepare and perform a programme at a level that reveals professional potential.

Year 7 and 8 Drama Ensemble

Now in its second year, the Kincoppal-Rose Bay Year 7 & 8 Drama Ensemble is a fantastic place for students to explore the world of drama. These classes are run by a qualified teaching-artist/director, and seek to build students' confidence, encourage creativity, and teach skills to improve acting ability. Term 1 & 3 will focus on a central skills-building topic (e.g. core principals of performance, improvisation, characterisation, script work, physical theatre, acting for film, etc). Term 2 & 4 are spent putting those skills into practice and building a performance from scratch. With a balance between having fun and working professionally, the 7 & 8 Drama Ensemble is great for those new to the subject and those wanting to challenge themselves further. This class is run on a semester basis on Thursday afternoons from 3.30 – 5.30pm. 

Register Now

Thank you for your request. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
There was a problem sending your message.
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Would you like to ask us a quick question? If so please fill in your details below and we will respond to your enquiry shortly.

Send Enquiry
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Send Enquiry