The Arts

ART

JUNIOR (K – YEAR 6)

Art classes will extend students’ creative abilities through visual media and provide a variety of mediums that perhaps would not be available to students until their senior years. Art promotes positive feelings in students and encourages them to experiment and to push boundaries in a creative setting. Art as an Accomplishment will specialise in visual art, allowing students to experience a variety of art materials and to have fun.

PERFORMING ARTS

NB: It is an expectation on enrolment that students participate for the full year due to the nature of the program.

Students of Speech and Drama receive an experience of performing arts and a solid base with which to approach other areas of the curriculum in a fun and supportive environment.

The classes offered are:

Group Drama (K – Year 6)

Group Drama focuses on a different theme each term, with an emphasis on working as an ensemble. The focus of group drama classes will change every term. Lessons contain activities such as drama games, teamwork, improvisation and play building.

Speech / Communication Skills (Years 1 – 6)

Trinity College London Syllabus (Public Speaking) concentrates on the skills of speaking in front of others helping students to organise and express themselves in a meaningful and appropriate way through storytelling, impromptu and prepared talks as well as developing skills in initiating conversation.
All students participate in the Trinity College London Exams in the second half of the year. Fees for the exam are separate to lesson fees.

Accomplishment Drama (Years 7 − 11) 

The Accomplishment Drama Program is taught using the ‘Trinity Guildhall’ syllabus. This is an internationally accepted assessment of abilities in speech, effective communication and dramatic performance. The Trinity Guildhall Program provides a structured set of learning outcomes designed
to help your daughter develop into a confident performer and communicator able to engage people when she speaks with a full forward and free voice. The Trinity Guildhall methodology also allows your daughter to participate in a non-compulsory but highly encouraged exam held in the
fourth term of every year. All lessons are created and modified to suit individuals of all abilities. 

Please note that the cost of the Trinity Guildhall exams and Sydney Eisteddfod are an additional cost to the students and the cost is not included in the normal tuition fees. Exams and Eisteddfods must be paid separately through the portal by the due date which is approximately towards the end of term 2.
Any students enrolled in these courses and especially those who are preparing for Exams or Eisteddfods MUST be prepared to do additional practice outside of their scheduled
lessons.
Group classes are strictly limited to 10 students per class and are offered on a first come, first serve basis. Private and pairs lessons may be conducted during school hours and while all efforts are made to ensure that students do not miss classes, sometimes this is unavoidable. Private and pairs lesson times will also be offered on a first come, first serve basis. Please contact the Senior School Performing Arts Coordinator to request a partner (for pairs) and lesson time once your daughter has been registered for her private or pairs lesson. 

There are 4 categories to choose from: 

Speech and Drama (Years 7 – 11)

Lessons are conducted privately (individually) or in pairs. 

The Speech and Drama category allows students to work individually on classic and modern scripts, prose and poetry. Studying Speech & Drama will help students to develop:

• Confidence and self-esteem
  • Knowledge and understanding of different literature and literacy forms
  • Natural and clear speech
  • Respect, sensitivity and understanding towards others
  • Focus and concentration
  • Communication and performance skills
  • Improvisation techniques
  • Listening and responding.
Acting 

Group Acting is a dynamic category that culminates into a performance for parents and friends at the end of the year without the pressure of preparing for an exam. Students’ will engage in scene work, voice work, staging, games and improvisation skills. During these classes students will work on developing:

• Confidence and self-esteem
  • Rehearsal techniques
  • Focus and concentration
  • Listening and responding
  • Building a character
  • Accents
  • Improvisation skills
  • Stage craft
  • Performance techniques
  • Learning to take direction
Speech/ Communication Skills

This program is specifically designed for students to develop the necessary skills for making in-class oral presentations for school. The students will also have the opportunity to enrol in the Trinity Guildhall exams (Term 4) and/or the Sydney Eisteddfod held in June of every year, to improve their confidence and presentation skills. These classes will work on developing:

• Confidence in speaking in front of an audience
  • Use of palm cards
  • Selecting a topic and planning a speech around it
  • Claiming the stage
  • Writing a well-constructed speech
  • Dealing with nerves
  • Their clear and natural speaking voice
  • How to rehearse a speech
  • Utilising emphatic and physical devices to engage an audience
ATCL Performing Speech and Drama

(Years 11 – 12) Preparation for this exam is 1.5 years.

Due to prerequisites for this exam students must be invited to take part in these lessons, as they will be preparing for a diploma level accreditation. This qualification encourages students to prepare and perform a program at a level that reveals professional potential. For successful completion of this qualification candidates will be able to:

• Demonstrate sound knowledge of the fundamental concepts of speech and drama
  • Use different approaches to solve problems
  • Communicate accurately with clear intent
  • Appreciate the main principles of the discipline, and the limits of their current capabilities and knowledge in relation to them
  • Undertake small-scale investigative or development activities, using appropriate methods and techniques
  • Operate in moderately critical situations where success depends on choosing appropriate responses. 

‚ÄčMinimum recommended daily practice is 20 minutes per day

Register Now

Thank you for your request. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
There was a problem sending your message.
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Would you like to ask us a quick question? If so please fill in your details below and we will respond to your enquiry shortly.

Send Enquiry
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Send Enquiry