KRB Community Learning Spaces

As part of its learning innovation strategy, Kincoppal-Rose Bay has been working to develop Community Learning Spaces within the school.

Kincoppal-Rose Bay’s Learning Spaces have been designed to integrate technology and engage students in ways not previously possible by creating new learning and teaching possibilities thus enhancing achievement and extending interactions with local and global communities.

“Our Community Learning Spaces were created with greater interaction in mind – they work for individual, group and whole class learning activities”, says Principal Hilary Johnston-Croke, “These spaces support our technology-rich learning environment and have significantly enhanced our students’ engagement with learning and school life generally.”

Features of KRB's Community Learning Spaces:

• Modern facilities that combine links to the history of the school
  • A meeting place for the entire year group with operable glass walls
  • A collaborative learning space with break out spaces for small group work
  • State of the art technology
  • A community area for gathering during break times, such as morning tea and lunch, containing a refrigerator, microwave and tea and coffee making facilities
  • An office for the Year Coordinator to meet with individual students or groups
  • Easy access to lockers, which form part of the space.

Our Spaces include:

The Stuart Centre for Year 7 Students

In 2013 the Year 7 Community Learning Space was completed. This space was designed with the intention of bringing students together to connect, learn and socialise while using the latest educational technology, interior design and facilities. The space, now called the Stuart Centre, was officially opened on Friday 8 November by the Hon. Gabrielle Upton MP.

Moving from primary to secondary school can be quite daunting for many students as they enter a larger school with a number of different teachers, different learning areas and different students. The Stuart Centre has been planned so that it supports students from primary in a seamless transition to high school. It provides them with a physical base for interacting with their peers and teachers, both during and outside of class. The Stuart Centre is equipped with a number of modern and user friendly facilities, including a kitchen, so that students have a place to call their own in the busy momentum of a normal school day. As well, the Year Coordinator forms part of the Centre, enabling effective interaction between the students and the staff.

From a learning and educational perspective, this flexible, technology-rich learning space provides personalised learning opportunities for all Year 7 students as they interact with teachers across a number of subjects.

The Sister Philomene Tiernan rsjc Learning Centre

The Sister Philomene Tiernan rsjc Learning Centre was officially opened on Wednesday 29 July 2015 by Sister Rita Carroll, Deputy Chair of the Kincoppal– Rose Bay School Board. 

The Centre is named after Sister Philomene Tiernan rscj, a member of staff at Kincoppal – Rose Bay School, who died tragically as a result of the Malaysian Airlines crash on 17 July 2014.

The Katherine Robertson Centre

The Katherine Robertson Centre was opened by Frank and Judith Robertson on 19 November 2008. The centre is a learning space for senior students at Kincoppal-Rose Bay and was named for past student Katherine Robertson (KRB 1991).

Katherine was a bright student who gained a TER of 99.90 and achieved third in the State for 4 Unit Mathematics. After leaving KRB, she studied Science and Law at the University of Sydney and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in 1994. She then went on to graduate as a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Actuaries in 1998.

Katherine fell ill with leukaemia in 1999 and passed away twelve months later. Her funeral, in November 2000, was held in the School Chapel.

Future Developments

The Junior School Masterplan which involves the development of an assembly space, new learning areas and breakout areas for small groups, an administration block and an Early Learning Centre is currently being implemented.

A Year 12 Learning Hub will be developed over the site of the old gym and swimming pool, overlooking Sydney Harbour. The space will incorporate individual and collaborative learning areas, a staff room, kitchen, common room and amphitheatre. It will be an ideal transition for Year 12 students in their progression to tertiary study and career paths.

To learn more about our Community Learning Spaces and future developments, please register for a KRB Experience Open Morning.
Thank you for your request. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
There was a problem sending your message.
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Would you like to ask us a quick question? If so please fill in your details below and we will respond to your enquiry shortly.

Send Enquiry
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Send Enquiry