Academic Care

EXTENDING STUDENTS SPIRITUALLY, EMOTIONALLY, INTELLECTUALLY AND PHYSICALLY TO ENSURE THEY ACHIEVE THEIR BEST

Academic Care at Kincoppal-Rose Bay facilitates both the personal and academic support of students. This program utilises a positive psychological approach in order to achieve student wellbeing. In particular, Academic Care has a focus on the concepts of gratitude, the identification of personal strengths, and the development of positive relationships, positive emotion, leadership skills, and resilience. Kincoppal-Rose Bay is committed to developing young men and women who make positive contributions to the broader community.

In the Junior School students work through a specially designed Pastoral Care Program on a weekly basis with their classroom teacher. This program incorporates issues such as understanding self, recognising good and bad behaviour, being friendly, making friends, and working with others. In addition, issues such as bullying and cyber safety are also explored.

In the Senior School students meet daily with their Pastoral Mentor for mentoring, support and coaching, and fortnightly in order to undertake an extensive Pastoral Care Program which focuses on key aspects tailored specifically for their year group. In order to cater for the varying developmental phases of students across their secondary schooling, the Pastoral Care Program is based on the following conceptual framework:

• Year 7 & 8: Understanding of Self
  • Year 9 & 10: Understanding of Self in Relation to Others
  • Year 11 & 12: Understanding of Self in Relation to the World

The Pastoral Care Program is firmly based on the Sacred Heart Goals and is delivered through a variety of structured activities including guest speakers and presentations. Camps and other external activities complement the in-school program. The range of experiences offered by the school ensures that students are extended spiritually, emotionally, intellectually and physically.

POSITIVE EDUCATION at KRB

Positive education is a concept that underpins the educational experience of all students at Kincoppal-Rose Bay. Positive education is defined as ‘education for both traditional skills and for happiness’ (Seligman et al. 2009). Striving towards PERMA (Positive Emotions, Engagement, Relationships, Meaning and Accomplishment) is crucial in order to develop the wellbeing of students. The purpose of such an educational approach is to ensure that both the emotional and academic needs of students are met resulting in students achieving a greater sense of personal wellbeing and happiness. Academic Care at Kincoppal-Rose Bay encompasses this Positive Education framework and focuses on key values necessary for students of the sacred heart.

At KRB we attempt to achieve student wellbeing by:

• actively teaching aspects of positive psychology through our Pastoral Care Program including: resilience, gratitude, positive relationships, positive emotions and the identification of personal strengths
  • teaching students the concept of the ‘growth mindset’ (Dweck, 2007) where students are encouraged to view their skills and knowledge as changeable through effort
  • working with students to set personal and academic goals while developing perseverance and grit
  • using constructive and positive feedback as a way of supporting student improvement
  • supporting students in all aspects of their lives.

At KRB we want students to achieve:

• a sense of happiness, both at school and in their everyday lives
  • an understanding of their core strengths and their ability to develop new strengths
  • an understanding that skills are nurtured and developed and do not exist as a set of unchangeable attributes
  • a sense of connectedness to the school and the broader school community
  • a belief that they are capable of achieving whatever they set their minds to
  • a greater understanding of self- resulting in higher self-esteem and resilience

Thank you for your request. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
There was a problem sending your message.
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Would you like to ask us a quick question? If so please fill in your details below and we will respond to your enquiry shortly.

Send Enquiry
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Send Enquiry