An inclusive, co-educational learning community
I am inspired to become a teacher because of my experience at Barat Burn.
130 pairs
of shoes were collected by the Junior School as part of a shoe drive to help Sudanese refugees

Barat Burn is the home of our co-educational Junior School, which provides girls and boys with a warm and nurturing community where they can begin to explore their interests and talents further.  Here we offer a co-educational environment covering the Board of Studies' Key Learning Areas. We believe it is vital to nurture inquiry in the key disciplines of science, technology, engineering and mathematics from a very early age.

We utilise our whole campus model and the strong relationship between Junior and Senior Schools to ensure our junior students benefit from our dedicated facilities and the extensive knowledge of our specialist teachers.

Junior School students have the opportunity to:

• Be taught by specialist Senior School mathematics and English teachers, along with their class teacher.
  • Learn in the Senior School science laboratories with a specialist science teacher. (Years 5 and 6) 
  • Attend whole school assemblies along with the Senior School in the Maureen Tudehope Centre. 
  • Use the Homework Centre after school where they mix with both day and boarding senior students. (Years 5 and 6)

At KRB, we understand that not all learning takes place in the classroom; that some children have different needs and some require extra support. In light of this, our Junior School offers the following:

1. A dedicated Homework Centre (Years 5-6) and Extended Day Program
  2. Before and after school care
  3. Peer tutoring program for Years 2-6
  4. A gifted program
  5. A learning support program
  6. A bush time experience 
  7. An outdoor education program
  8. A leadership program in Years 5/6
  9. A peer support program
  10. An extensive buddy system throughout the Senior and Junior Schools

Key learning areas

• Religious Education and the Sacramental Program
  • English
  • Mathematics
  • Science and Technology
  • History
  • Geography
  • Creative Arts
  • Personal Development/ Health /Physical Education

Delivering Academic Strength

Kincoppal – Rose Bay seeks to provide students with challenging and intellectually rigorous learning opportunities, in an environment where each student can develop academically, physically, emotionally, socially and spiritually. 

Head of Junior School, Michelle Chaplin, leads a team of committed teachers who act as facilitators, bringing the children’s ideas to life and providing guidance on the learning journey. Different learning styles are catered for and individual needs are met through a range of extension and support activities.

Religious Education

KRB follows the Religious Education Curriculum ELC-12 ‘To Know, Worship and Love’, developed by the Sydney Catholic Education Office in consultation with the Sydney Archdiocese.

With careful reflection and guidance the children are led to new insights about their faith.

In Years 2, 3 and 6, students prepare for the sacraments of Reconciliation, First Eucharist and Confirmation respectively. The Sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist are celebrated in our School Chapel. The Sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated through participation in a Parish based program.

Languages

All language courses at KRB are undertaken with specialist language teachers who teach across both Junior and Senior campuses. Languages taught at KRB Junior School are as follows:

• ELC-Year 2 - French
  • Years 3-4 - Mandarin
  • Years 5-6 - French or Mandarin 

Information and Communications Technologies (ICT)

Kincoppal-Rose Bay provides students and teachers with a rich and supportive ICT environment.

New technology is continually integrated with our teaching and learning. We believe that a well-resourced technology environment helps children prepare for their future. Some examples of what we offer include:

• Interactive whiteboards (SMART Boards)
  • Laptop trolleys
  • Digital classrooms incorporating iPads, PCs and online educational tools
  • Annual STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) incursions 
  • Robots in Year 3-4

Opportunities for All-Round Achievement

In catering for the individual needs of our students, Kincoppal – Rose Bay offers an extensive Co-Curricular and Accomplishments program. The school has a long tradition of excellence and enthusiastic participation in all areas of the arts. Students also enjoy opportunities to participate in a wide range of sports that improve physical fitness, build self-esteem, promote cooperation, team work and school spirit and help to develop friendships.

Academic Competitions 

• da Vinci Decathlon Years 5/6
  • Tournament of Minds Years 4,5 and 6
  • ICAS Maths, Writing Years 3-6 
  • Maths Challenge Year 6 
  • Maths Olympiad Years 5/6 

Co-Curricular

Debating & Public Speaking

Kincoppal – Rose Bay Junior School has a highly competitive and strong culture in debating. As part of the IPSHA debating competition, many of our teams have gone on to compete in and win grand finals.

Our debating teams also compete against other schools within the Eastern Region Catholic Schools Debating Competition.

Our own Public Speaking Competition is for all students from ELC through to Year 6; and is a necessary part of encouraging our students to become confident well rounded individuals.

Music

All Junior School students participate in a choir under the tutelage of Choral Director, Mr. Mark Stubley, and our Year 5 and 6 students have the opportunity to participate in the IPSHA Music Festival.

Our students are encouraged to join the School Band Program, with instruments available from Year 1 onwards. They also have the opportunity to join the Senior School Orchestra. 

Sports

Kincoppal – Rose Bay is part of the IPSHA Sports Competition. Our Junior School Sports Program is taught by specialist PE staff, who work across both Junior and Senior campuses.

Our Junior School students can participate in these sports in the following terms:

• Term 1: Swimming Squad (Years 3–6), Cross Country Running (Years 3–6), Small Sided Soccer (Years 4–6 Girls), Netball Skills (Year 3 Girls), Cricket (Years 3–6 Boys), Basketball (Years 3–6 Boys) and ESFA Soccer (ELC–2)
  • Term 2: Athletics (Years 3–6), Soccer (ELC–6), Minkey/Hockey (Years 4–6), Netball (Year 3 Girls), Snowsports (Years 2–6) and Rugby League (Years 3–6 Boys)
  • Term 3: Athletics (Years 3–6), Soccer (ELC–6), Netball (Years 3–6 Girls), Snowsports (Years 2–6), Rugby League (Years 3–6 Boys) and Walla Rugby Skills (Years 1–2 Boys)
  • Term 4: Tennis (Years 3–6 Girls), Water Polo Skills (Years 3–6 Girls), Touch Football Skills (Years 3–6 Girls), Netball Skills (Year 2 Girls), Cricket (Years 3–6 Boys), Basketball (Years 3–6 Boys) and Basketball & Cricket Skills (Years 1–2 Boys).

Accomplishments Program

KRB provides a comprehensive Accomplishments Program that offers activities outside of the structured teaching and learning programs. These programs include:

• Music & Performance – individual or small group instrumental tuition with specialist teachers
  • Speech & Dramatic Arts  - a vibrant performing arts experience taught in groups from K-6
  • Sport & Fitness – a broad sport and fitness accomplishment program suitable for varying levels. Includes gymnastics, tennis and martial arts
  • Dance & Performance – taught by industry professionals and includes ballet, contemporary, jazz, hip-hop, funk, creative and Eisteddfod Troupes.
  • Recreation – Chess
  • Art – specialising in visual art using a variety of material with an emphasis on fun.

For more information on the KRB Accomplishment Program, please visit the Accomplishments page.

130 pairs
Thank you for your request. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
There was a problem sending your message.
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Would you like to ask us a quick question? If so please fill in your details below and we will respond to your enquiry shortly.

Send Enquiry
All fields are mandatory!
Quick Enquiry

Send Enquiry